Monday, January 26, 2009

Update: Coach fired for un-apologizing after 100-0 win

An update on a story I blogged about a few days ago. HotAir comments on the non-apology apology:

Would Jesus be chucking threes in the fourth quarter up 85 points? The coach asks himself and answers … yes:

The Apology. In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Website, I respectfully disagree with the apology, especially the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel “embarrassed” or “ashamed”. We played the game as it was meant to be played and would not intentionally run up the score on any opponent. Although a wide-margin victory is never evidence of compassion, my girls played with honor and integrity and showed respect to Dallas Academy. We honor God, ourselves, and our families when we step on the court to compete. I do no wish to forfeit the game. What kind of example does it set for our children? Do we really want to punish Covenant School girls? Does forfeiting really help Dallas Academy girls? We experienced a blowout almost 4 years ago and it was painful, but it made us who we are today. I believe in the lessons that sports teach us. Competition builds character, and teaches us to value selflessness, hard work, and perseverance. As a coach, I have instilled in my girls these values. So if I lose my job over these statements, I will walk away with my integrity.

His girls played with “honor” by straining to hit 100 points against a team that was outmatched from the opening tip? Winning 60-2 would have also “built character,” champ.

Ouch! Note to coaches: if you happen to be up on anyone 59-0 at halftime, be a sport and foul the other team often, letting them have at least a few points. On offense, practice your passing and let the shot clock expire every time. THAT would have shown a humble attitude. Had that happened, no one would have ever heard of this team or this story, and coach would have kept his job.