Sunday, January 25, 2009

Football withdrawal

Hands shaking. Jittery. A loss of color. That's how I feel today, a perfectly nice, but crisp Sunday afternoon. Why all the effects? Likely because every single week at this time, since late summer, I have been firmly planted on the couch watching whatever football was offered through the local stations. Hey - NFL football is NFL football. Even here, in the land of the 0-16 Detroit Lions. In any case, for those that dwell on football nostalgia, they used to play the Superbowl the week after the NFC and AFC championship games. In that light, today would be the silver anniversary of the 1984 Superbowl ad that has become iconic. Caroline McCarthy over at CNET has a roundup of the ad here. Here's the ad in full:


Now I have to admit that I was not the football fan in my youth that I am now, and hardly remember the drubbing that the Redskins were given by the Raiders (yeah - THOSE Raiders from the long gone glory days). Nor do I remember the ad as a mac ad. Just the whole 'big brother' imagery, which has been used by others in the distant, and more recent, past. For instance, this Obama ad ran before the Democratic primary (and was pulled shortly thereafter):